Who does not want to be fit and healthy? By fit and healthy we mean toned and shaped body. For that, people are either inclined on exercises or dietary supplements. We’re always hearing about such supplements that has the ability to cure ailments or can dynamically improve the quality of our lives. It is true that we always face some kind of uncertainty regarding its information. Therefore, it’s quite difficult for us to know which supplements offer genuine health benefits and which are merely making false promises, or running the risk of damaging our health. It’s absolutely in your hands to collect all the information of supplements; make better choices about those and do what is right for you.
What are dietary or nutritional supplements?
As per The Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act or DSHEA, a dietary supplement is a product that:
- Primarily supplements the food you eat;
- contain ingredients such as minerals, vitamins; medicinal herbs or other botanicals; amino acids and few other substances;
- comes in the form of a pill, tablet, capsule or in fluids; –Are tagged as a dietary supplement.
There are different types of dietary or nutritional supplements which are available in the market and some of these supplements can help you to boost energy too. Vitamin and mineral supplements like (vitamin B complex and calcium pills) are those supplements which has micronutrients that is exclusively meant to help a body to function efficiently; improves mental health. Herbal or botanical supplements like (glucosamine sulfate and lutein pills) refer to dietary supplements that have a medicine purpose. This botanical supplement usually deals with a particular area of the body’s health, such as the liver, bones or skin.
Health Benefits of vitamin and mineral supplements
Vitamins and minerals are those supplements that contain micronutrients and these micronutrients benefit our body and energy in a distinctive way. To begin with, while vitamin A supports vision and helps in the development of bones and muscles; vitamin E strengthens our immune system and assists in repairing DNA. Micronutrients serve a special purpose on mental health too. Recent studies have shown that micronutrients, if consumed appropriately can help to fight against depression, stress, and anxiety; it will keep you away from many disorders such as autism, ADHD, bipolar disorder, PTSD and trauma.
Herbal or Botanical supplements
Herbal supplements are not like vitamin and mineral supplements. They are different because they are considered to have medicinal properties. Herbs or botanicals are said to be our primitive health care tools, and the source of many modern medicines. Earliest civilizations were absolutely dependent on herbs for healing, and so with the contemporary cultures. Moreover, the World Health Organization (WHO) has reported that more than 70% of the world’s population continues to use traditional remedies, a major part of which are derived from plant life.
Following are the tips for buying natural dietary supplements
1) Talk to your doctors: Consult your doctor before starting a new supplement for energy. Garlic, for instance, interferes with your blood clotting ability where as herbal supplements, if combined with prescription drugs can produce adverse effects.
2) Be a label investigator: Investigate the label, the name of the herb, entire list of ingredients, amount, serving size, and manufacturer information.
3) Choose single- ingredient supplements: If you combine multiple ingredients in a single pill, it’s not going to add extra curative benefits.
So, it is always best to consult your healthcare professionals before you go for any dietary supplement.